A dark red totem is stirred by an intense gust of wind, and the sunrays create dark silhouettes on the wall behind.
Note: This product is make to order.
Craft Type: Channapatna
Around 200 years ago the ruler of Mysore, Tipu Sultan invited artisans from Persia to the quaint city of Channapatna to train the locals in the craft by carving toys out of ivory wood, rubber, cedar, and teak. Carrying on this centuries-old legacy, our craftsmen from Channapatna, create lustrous vessels using ivory-wood -- preferred due to its lightweight nature. In the recent years, this craft has gone global because of an increasing demand for wooden toys. In fact, the stronghold of our craftsmen over this art form is such that, the city of Channapatna is now famously known as the Toy Town of Karnataka.
Made in: Karnataka
Dimensions (cm): Length: 35, Height: 200, Breadth: 35
No. of pieces in a set: 1, One Totem
- Experienced hands cut the wood into desired shapes according to the design.
- The pieces are then pruned, carved and moulded using a hand-driven traditional lathe machine. Where the artisans press the lacquer stick against the wooden piece while it is still on a lathe and due to the heat produced by the friction, lacquer gets applied on the wood.
- After that, the applied lacquer is uniformly spread all over the surface of the piece using a dried palm leaf. This process gives the product it’s gleam and shine.
- Also, note that each piece is lacquered using non-toxic materials such as vegetable dyes, ensuring that all our products are safe for you to eat from.
- All our products are traditionally made, yet they are completely eco-friendly.
- Hand wipe your vessels regularly, using only a soft cloth or sponge.
- Make sure to wipe your metalware dry with a clean cloth, this helps to retain its natural gleam.
- Give your vessels enough time to dry before storing, this helps to retain their natural finish.
- Use a harsh stainless steel/metal scrubber to clean.
- Use a microwave to heat food in these products.
- Put your vessels in a dishwasher to rinse or clean.