Black Clay Snack Bowl
When the foods from the ground meet their maker, moulded in black and eager to serve, we witness a fated union.
Craft Type: Black Clay Pottery
Deep in the lush hills of Meghalaya, black pottery is practiced solely by a community of gifted women, who channel ancient wisdom and the spirit of the forest into creating intricate vessels from clay. Breaking away from the usual practice of sitting at the wheel by potters, our craftswomen practice a unique method of standing over a form until it takes its desired shape. Further, shattering all artistic barriers, these craftswomen only use homegrown wheels and self-made wooden tools to shape every creation with their bare hands.
Made in: Meghalaya
Dimensions (cm): Length: 12.5, Height: 6.7, Breadth: 12.5, Dia: 12.5
No. of pieces in a set: 1, One Bowl
- Our craftswomen mould and handshape the clay prepared in advance.
- The shape is then fired in a bhatti, an open furnace, using local fuel.
- While the shape is hot, it is dipped into a milky solution of the bark of the Sohlia tree and cold water, this lends it its blackish colour.
- Sometimes the solution shades the pieces in different tints of red, brown or black, which is completely natural.
- After being treated with the solution, the shape is then dried under the sun for 2-3 days.
- Use cooking utensils on a low flame with a heat diffuser below, to prevent cracking.
- Before first use, soak the cooking utensils in water for an hour and give them adequate time to dry. Once the utensil dries, coat it with olive oil. Then proceed to fill it up to three-quarters with water and heat it for at least an hour on low flame, on a stove with a heat diffuser on. Note that this is only to be done once, before first use.
- Clean your vessels immediately after you use them.
- Soak a soft sponge in tepid water, apply mild detergent and gently rub your vessel clean.
- Give your vessels enough time to dry, this helps to retain their natural finish.
- Be careful while using, since all tableware is susceptible to abrasion from repeated handling.
- Make sure to put a cushion of tissue/cloth between each product while stacking.
- These vessels are microwave safe, so you can heat conveniently yet eat traditionally.
- Note that vessels for liquids can only be used for water, black coffee or black tea.
- Stack a lot of dishes in the sink while washing.
- Use a stainless steel/metal scrubber to clean.
- Use a dishwasher to rinse or wash these products.
- Store food in these products.