REGALIA IVORY LIGHT TABLE CLOTH
Kala Cotton Table Cloth
In a quiet corner, stands a table covered in the cloak of elegance, bringing loved ones together at daylight and dusk.
Craft Type: Suf Embroidery
Suf embroidery is a counted thread weaving technique practised by the skilful women of Darbar and Sodha community in Kutch. Having great sentimental value, this kind of weaving is traditionally used by our craftswomen to embellish apparels that are part of a bride's trousseau. Characterized by a unique stitch worked from the back, the coveted motifs of Suf embroidery aren't ordinarily drawn onto the base fabric but developed around a progression of triangles and diamonds. Finally, little pieces of shisha (mirror) are incorporated into the patterns, reflecting pure elegance and class.
Made in: Gujarat
Dimensions (cm): Length: 275, Height: 0.3, Breadth: 180
No. of pieces in a set: 1, One Table Cloth
- The women of the Sodha community specialise in suf embroidery which is a kind of a satin stitch, that requires a geometrical calculation of the warp and weft of the fabric.
- Once this calculation is done, this stitch is made on the underside of the fabric, while the patter, as if by magic, develops on the right side.
- This painstaking embroidery follows a triangular pattern called a Suf. First, the Suf is counted on the warp and weft of the cloth, and then the satin stitch is worked from the back of the surface.
- It's interesting to know that the motifs made in our designs are never drawn. Each artisan imagines her design, then counts it out, in reverse, as she creates. This kind of skilled work requires a deep understanding of geometry and keen eyesight.
- A Suf artisan displays virtuosity in detailing by creating symmetrical patterns of triangles and accent stitches, without any previous layout.
- Wash each piece of fabric separately.
- Make sure to use a laundry bag while washing.
- Make sure to iron the fabric inside out.
- Tumble dry the fabric in the washing machine.
- Use any form of bleach or a harsh fabric cleaner.