Studio Pottery Kettle Mugs Set
For sharing the feeling of warmth, for awarding a moment of peace, this Barni-inspired mug and kettle is the way to revive your soul, to find your way back home.
Craft Type: Studio Pottery
Dating back to the Indus Valley Civilization, this art form is still extensively practised in the Indian subcontinent, mainly to create large matkis (jars), kulhar cups and oil lamps. Using innovative techniques, our artist from Aurivolle brings alive the aesthetics of her dream room -- a postcolonial quarter with minimal textures - through her faded treatment of the floral motifs and uneven application of the glaze on each product. Moreover, she individually hand-paints all her motifs, turning every piece of pottery into a unique artefact that can only be found in the room of your dreams.
Made in: Pondicherry
Dimensions (cm): Length: 25.5, Height: 1.3, Breadth: 7.4
No. of pieces in a set: 5, Set of One Kettle & Four Mugs
Different kinds of clay are available for this type of pottery, but our studio potters from Auroville and Shantiniketan use ball clay since it is found in abundance around them and can be treated very easily. This clay is carefully prepared by our potters using exact proportions.
It is first kneaded to perfection and then mounted on the potter's wheel where our craftsmen give it a shape using traditional hand-building techniques. Once the shape is ready it's fired in a bisque powered by local fuel. After the shape solidifies, it's glazed to give it a natural sheen and then the piece is left to dry under the sun for 2-3 days. On drying, this piece is glazed by dipping, trailing or brushing on a thin slurry composition of the glaze and water and then it's fired in a bisque.
Please note that the process of glazing renders porous pottery vessels impermeable to water and other liquids, thereby increasing their shelf life.
- Soak a soft sponge in tepid water, apply mild detergent and gently rub your vessel clean.
- Then wipe your stoneware dry with a clean cloth, this helps to retain its natural finish.
- Make sure to wash each vessel separately by hand.
- Use only a soft cloth or tissue to clean your vessel dry.
- Make sure to put a cushion of tissue/cloth between each product while stacking.
- You can safely use these products to serve food and beverages.
- These vessels are microwave safe, so you can heat conveniently yet eat traditionally.
- Stack these fragile vessels against each other while washing.
- Stack these fragile vessels against each other while storing.
- Use a dishwasher to wash or rinse the products.
- Use items with a gold inlay in a microwave.